Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Countdown to Kelly Ripa, day 20: Logo in royal icing

  • Pin It
Less than three weeks until I fly to New York to meet Kelly Ripa and decorate cakes on behalf of the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund. I've got so much still to do, so many details to nail down. Never mind the trivial stuff like making sure I remember my laptop charger, phone charger and Bluetooth headset. Should I wear my hair up or down? What the heck am I going to wear for the event? And I guess I need to find that makeup bag I never have time to open. Can't go to meet a national TV personality with my everyday bare face - my mother would be appalled. "Make an effort," she'd say. "You're too old to meet celebrities without foundation. And put on some lipstick."

To put off the beauty product dilemmas just a little longer, today I decided to try my hand at royal icing. First, I separated an egg and beat the white by hand to soft peaks with a whisk. I know, I know, I said in my year-end wrap-up that I have no patience for separating eggs, but I'm trying to become a better person in oh so many ways in 2010, so I've been parting yolks and whites with abandon this week. And I'll admit, grudgingly, that it's not so bad, whipping egg whites. My biceps are looking better.

Anyway, then I added powdered sugar to the egg white until it was pretty stiff. I probably used three cups of sugar at least. I separated the goo into two bowls and tinted them blue and green:




Then I put the colored goo into two small zip-top bags and snipped off the ends.




And then I made this on top of one of yesterday's cupcakes...




...which, if you look carefully, is a reasonable facsimile of the logo of the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund.


Tah-dah!

Okay, not perfect. But a step in the right direction, you'll admit. I might have made the icing too loose, though. It didn't hold its shape very well as I was piping it. Next time, more sugar.

1 comment:

The Diva on a Diet said...

Royal icing can be tricky too. You generally end up needing more sugar than you think you do. Or ... you could default to the royal icing mix found in most cake baking shops. I've done so in the past! ;)

Love the logo cupcake. Well done!

Post a Comment